Thursday, October 8, 2009

cheddar chicken chowder

With the cooler weather setting in I'm in the mood for soup! This is a thick and hearty one. I found this recipe at the Daily Diner and altered it to my liking and to be gluten and lactose free.


4 bacon slices
1 pound of chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces (I used a rotissere chicken)
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups fat-free chicken broth
1/2 cup water
2 cups diced peeled red potatoes
2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn
1/3 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
2 cups homeade plain yogurt (you can use store bought, but it has a little lactose in it)
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

Cook bacon in pan over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan. Crumble; set aside. Add chicken, onion, and garlic to bacon fat in pan; sauté 5 minutes. Add broth and potatoes; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add corn and bacon; stir well.

Place flour in a bowl. Gradually add yogurt, stirring with a whisk until blended; add to soup. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Stir in cheese, salt, and pepper.

After I finished putting it all together, I transferred it to my crock pot to simmer on low all day. This isn't a necessary step, but I make it when I have time in the morning and then don't worry about dinner the rest of the day. The flavors blend together a bit more as well. My husband loves this recipe!

No comments: