Monday, April 12, 2010

pizza sauce

I haven't posted a recipe in a long time . . . probably because I haven't eaten much food in a long time. I am still on the shakes and am working my way up the food ladder. I'm up to about 15 foods now that I can tolerate. I unfortunately had to start the dreaded Prednisone (steroid) 11 days ago. Aside from all the side effects that I hate, it is helping. I was trying to wait it out longer and just stick to the shakes, but I was still getting weaker by the day and was having a hard time taking care of my kids. Anyway, if you or someone you know stuggles with Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis, here is a link to the predigested shakes I am using. They are expensive, but they are helping me get the nutrution I need while allowing my body to take a break from having to digest too much.

On to the recipe . . .

A couple of girlfriends asked me for my pizza sauce recipe. Here it is:
15oz can organic tomato sauce
6 oz can organic tomato paste (the key to making it thick!)
2 tsp Crushed Garlic from Trader Joe's (or you can mince 4 garlic cloves)
2-3 Tbls fresh oregano (or 1 Tbls dried oregano)
2-3 Tbls fresh basil (or 1 Tbls dried basil)
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp salt

*A note on pizza sauce. Any pizza sauce you buy that is premade will have sugar added to it, don't ask me why--it doesn't need it! Omit sugar wherever you can . . . think baby steps! I always use fresh herbs when I have them, but you can use the dried and your sauce will still be yummy. I never measure my herbs, but these are guesstimates--you can add how much you like.

And now onto the pizza . . . GO HERE for the zucchini and gluten free pizza crust I posted awhile back. It is so yummy! I make several personal size crusts and freeze them between wax paper. I just pull one out when we are having our family pizza night (every Friday). My kids still prefer Trader Joe's premade Garlic Herb crust which you can find near the sandwiches and premade fresh stuff. So, I make one large pizza for my family and a personal size pizza for me.


the family pizza made with Trader Joe's Garlic Herb crust


my gluten-free pizza made with a zucchini crust


Here are our typical family toppings:
chicken mild Italian sausage (Whole Foods)
pepperoni (nitrate/nitrite free at Whole Foods)
red peppers
sun dried tomatoes
green olives
monterey jack cheese
parmesan cheese
fresh basil

Everyone likes their pizza a little different (Faith likes everything, Paige does not) so they get to "decorate" their side of the pizza.

Hungry yet?

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Don't they add the sugar as a preservative? Add enough sugar and things will last a LONG time. ;)

Grace and Aria said...

Can't wait for this summer when I have lots of zucchini to make your pizza crusts!! I really dislike buying zucchini when we have so much in the summer (plus it's better ;)
Hope you are feeling better.

brandi said...

15 foods!! awesome i am so glad to hear you are feeling better!