Wednesday, February 2, 2011

heritage designer's challenge week 3


It's week 3 of the Heritage Challenge I am hosting at Green Tangerines! This week is all about community. The rollerskating rink was one of THE places to hang out when I was growing up. I would spend entirely too much time agonizing over what to wear to a skate day. Usually I ended up wearing the outfit with the most neon colors I could find! What I loved more than the skating itself, was the time to meet up with my friends and catch up on each others lives—this was a pre-email and texting era! 
This week I documented the impact my great-grandfather had in his community. He was the designer and builder of the Community Hall that hosted community dances for years to come. The 1937 building is still standing today, but I couldn't find a picture of it in my files or online. So, I did the next best thing. I snagged a satellite photo of where it stands today. 
If you can't find a particular photo of a location you wish to document, check out this great satellite view website!
Here are a few questions to get you thinking about community:
How did you get involved in your community while growing up? How often did you meet up with people in your neighborhood? How did you keep in touch? How did you support one another when times were hard? What are some fun things you did with people in your community? Were any special relationships or friendships formed out of some of these gatherings?

As always, leave me a link to your blog if you have a heritage layout you'd like to share!



No comments: